Thursday, March 09, 2006

Females Only!

Disclaimer: The following post will consist of wedding talk. I don't need any males rolling their eyes at my post, so if you're a guy, quick! Hit the back button!!

Well, the big news is...I BOUGHT MY WEDDING DRESS!!! (Actually my parents bought it, but that's just a technicality.) I am so excited about it! I get butterflies just thinking about it all! Okay, breathe...breathe. That's better. My mother and I went to three boutiques. Two were awful and felt like thrift stores. One lady picked out ten of the ugliest dresses I have ever seen. They made me feel like a hooker, which I suppose is appropriate in Vegas. But the one shop was awesome and the ladies were super helpful! The dress that I got is one that I would never, ever, in a million years want to try on...and it's nothing that I would ever see myself wearing. In fact, it looked hideous on the hanger. But the store owner swore that it would look great on me, so I gave it a shot. When I put it on, I felt like a movie star!! Okay, so it was twice as expensive as I ever wanted to spend on a wedding dress, but it's worth it!! Mainly because I'm not the one paying, teehee. Oh, I love it though. It isn't very vegas-y and isn't modern or anything, which was the theme I was going for, but I knew that if I didn't get it, I'd regret it.

Now it's time to start looking for a veil and shoes and jewelry. Yay for dressing up!

My skin is totally breaking out because this wedding is starting to get to the point of stressful. I thought that having a vegas wedding would prevent that from happening, but turns out it's unavoidable. I had a major freakout on Monday night. A few weeks ago, the woman from the Skyloft sent me a hospitality menu, with prices for hors d'oeuvres and an open bar and such. The open bar was priced at $28.50 per person for three hours. Okay fine. Sure, that's a lot, but it's understandable at a nice hotel. Well, Monday night, the in-suite coordinator sends me an email with a special Skyloft menu. Open bar was $65 per person for two hours!!! I started having a panic attack! I can't afford that! That's insane!!! And get this. The bartender fee in the original menu was $100 for three hours. This new menu had a bartender at $150 for two hours! That is so wrong because you know it’s the exact same guy doing the same exact job! Rob calmed me down and I wrote an email back to the woman, asking about the price differences. Turns out the original menu was sent to me by mistake, but she said that they would honor that pricing. PHEW!!!!! I dodged the hugest bullet right there. Can you image? Who can drink $65 worth of alcohol in two hours?? I don't drink that much in a year! :-)

I'm also having one other wedding issue right now. The paperwork I just got said that there is a limit of 30 people for a reception in the 2-bedroom Skyloft. That's not good. My "definite" guest list is at about 25 right now, but I was telling all my fellow HOWies that they could come by. Now I'm afraid they won't let anyone else in. I have to contact them and find out what the deal is. I didn't think that was going to be a problem, but since I'm paying per person, they want to have a guestlist finalized prior to the event. UGH! This wasn't supposed to be a hassle. It was supposed to be quick, easy, and cheap. So far, I'm just getting "quick." I figure maybe I can do the regular reception from 7-10, and then send the bartender (and the old folks) away and have a byob howie party at 10pm. The night will still be young. I'll need a power nap at some point, but ya only get married once, right?! Well, hopefully.

Anyway, I'm trying to keep my freak outs to a minimum. I just keep looking at the pictures of my dress to calm me down. It's going to be a very special day. I know it. But I was silly to think that I was going to be a calm, collected bride throughout this process.

Since Mary asked, here is a photo. :-)

10 comments:

Mary said...

so, where is OUR picture of the dress? HMMMMM I WANNA SEE!

That sounds stressful. I totally understand. I like to have things DONE and over with and settled. And it is hard to do that with so many variable.
No matter what happens, at the end of the day, you'll be a wife. That is the main thing!

Spencer M. Hall said...

hey mel, this is spencer (from the HOW forum). just wanted to say cool blog and congrats on the wedding. the dress looks gorgeous! good luck with all the planning.

Melissa said...

Okay Mary, I posted the link to the photo! Disregard the fact that I look like a worn out wet dog. I had ladies pushing me around all day!

Mary said...

LOL No you don't!! You look OUTSTANDING! Such a pretty dress! It has a modern AND vintage feel to it, if youk now what I mean. Antique lacey :) I liiiiike! Yay! :)

Jeope said...

Holysssssssssssssssssssss66666666677777777777777777777777777777777777777777dbfgnfghn...aw45345q656y45gthb56i/;/


Wow. I saw the words "wedding" and "dress" and then blacked out on the keyboard. Sorry about that, chief!

Melissa said...

Yeah, yeah, yeah. You know, that disclaimer was there for you!

Unknown said...

Oh, no!
There goes ol' Leo (the MGM mascot)
Go, go Bridezilla!

adapted from Blue Oyster Cult's "Godzilla." ;-)

patricia zapata said...

You're going to look sooo pretty that day! You remind me of the day I found my dress and it was pretty much like yours: two terrible places and the final one was heaven.

I was right! I totally imagined you in a strapless dress for some reason.

Just remember that the day of your wedding will go by soooooo very fast and will hopefully be so wonderful that all the "pre-wedding-sweating-bullets" part will be only a very distant memory.

Violet said...

Wow!! Mel that is a beautiful dress and you look amazing in it!

Dhanya said...

Your dress is absolutely stunning! I'm sure you looked awesome on your wedding day. :-D

Oh, you must be wondering why I'm posting a comment on such an old post, and that's cos I did an image search on rings and got led to your blog. Yeeep.

Happy New Year!!!