Friday, July 24, 2009

I Heart NY

I haven't given this blog much love lately. I keep meaning to, but I've been super sick for the last week and a half. Ugh. This evil phlegmy cough will NOT go away. Finally I was able to sleep without any coughing fits last night, so I at least feel more human today. It came at a terrible time because last weekend was our getaway to NYC for Rob's birthday. I was a trooper. I sucked it up and dealt with the cough for the most part, but Saturday night in the hotel was a challenge. Rob wanted to smother me with a pillow because I could not stop coughing. So neither of us got much rest that night, which made Sunday kind of a wash. But it's all the more reason to go back soon.

We took the train into the city. For us, it's a 45 minute drive to the train station and then an 75 minute train ride. Not too bad. It's much better than driving.

On the train

On the train

When we arrived, we headed up to the Bryant Park Hotel. It was only 11:30 am, so I wasn't expecting being able to check in, but we figured we'd check our bags and head out. Lucky for us, they were able to give us a room. The hotel was really great. Perfect location. Very nice room. Clean. Modern. Friendly staff. A little pricey, but for me, it was worth it.

Bryant Park Hotel

Bryant Park Hotel

Then we hopped the subway to Williamsburg Brooklyn. I had picked out this great spot for lunch, the Dumont Restaurant. I read that they had a great outdoor garden eating area. It was awesome. The food was delicious. The atmosphere was perfect. Absolutely loved it!

Dumont Restaurant

Dumont Restaurant

After lunch we wandered around a little bit. We never explored this area before. I can't wait to go back. So many great shops and interesting buildings.



We even did a little rock climbing at a playground we passed by.

Rock Climbing

Rock Climbing

I had mapped out a bunch of shops to hit while we were there. While we were in Artists & Fleas, which is sort of like an indoor year round craft show with people selling their wares, I was asked to participate in a street wear fashion photography project. Sure! I could tell I would never make a good model. I was so stiff and the photographer had to get me to loosen up. But it was fun!

I'm a model, ya know what I mean...

And if you want to see the finished photo, click here, click on Street Portraits, and scroll to the right a little. There I am!

We left Brooklyn and headed back to Manhattan to rest up before dinner. We had a little bit of time to kill, so we sat and relaxed in Bryant Park for a little while. I never spent much time in that park prior to this visit, but it was great!

Hanging out in Bryant Park

I had made a reservation at Megu in Tribeca for Rob's birthday dinner. There's nothing he loves more than sushi! The restaurant was really fancy shmancy and our waiter was so sweet. While Rob was in the bathroom, he asked his name and whether or not he liked chocolate. Then after dinner, which Rob said was the best sushi he's ever had, the waiter brought out a little surprise!


Even though I was coughing too much to really enjoy the meal, it was a great time.


At Megu

Like I mentioned, Sunday was a bit of a struggle because of our lack of sleep. We wandered aimlessly around SoHo and Greenwich Village, met up with some friends, did some shopping, and headed back home. I can't wait to get back up there. Hopefully when I'm at 100% again.


Miranda said...

you are -gorgeous-

Melissa said...

*blush* aww thanks! :)

Kimberley said...

So cute - what I would do for a day in New York in the summer time ... *wish*

Mista said...

OMG, drink some NyQuil and come back! So great that you went to Williamsburg as part of your vacay. :) Greenpoint is the other up and commer, and we're thinking about it...Come back, come back! Yes, you were sparkly as ever. :)

tricia-rennea said...

What a fun trip report! I found your fantastic blog through a friend. Oh and I like your glasses :)

devon spec said...

WAIT!!!! was this the restaurant on the food channel that had the 100 dollar kobe beef????