Tuesday, July 08, 2008

It's alarming!

I was so uneasy about our alarm situation, so we contacted three other reputable companies yesterday. They were all pretty comparable when it came to price. We were visited by ADT yesterday after work and after a bit of negotiation, we received a deal that we felt very comfortable with. And I'm sure they have had their share of complaints, but they are a huge company and they service a bunch of our neighbors, so I don't feel as if I'm being "scammed."

Maria was so right in an email she sent me. She said, "Alarm systems are made to make you feel safe." And something about that other company made me feel unsafe. I'm sure it would have kept burglars away, but I had this fear of major billing issues and terrible customer service and being trapped for five whole years. Not to mention the fact that the motion detector they installed was already not working. (I think they pointed it too high.) We walked right into our house yesterday without even tripping the alarm!

I sent out the cancellation this morning, so hopefully it will all be over with soon.

2 comments:

Mary said...

Did Rob really put a bookshelf in front of the door? LOL :)

We move at the end of the month into a townhouse that has a security system built in for free if we have a landline phone system. I don't currently have one, so I'm not sure I want to pay for a landline just to get a free service. UNLESS, it works with the t-mobile at home $10 plan.

Of course, I'm also afraid that my cat will trip the alarm at any given time LOL

Artsy Fartsy said...

I think you made the right decision. Alarm systems are expensive but unfortunately necessary. You don't want to deal with some "fly by night" operation, even if their prices seemed a tad better.