Monday, September 01, 2008

28 years young!

Last Friday was my 28th birthday. One year closer to 30, as my grandchildless mother likes to remind me. It was a fun day, particularly since I didn't have to work. I took this photo in the morning, so I have one to document my 28th year. People still think I look like a kid. I suppose that's a good thing.

Melissa @ 28

We started our day with breakfast as a nearby café. I heart breakfast foods. Pancakes, eggs, sausage, bacon, toast. Mmm. Artery-clogging goodness! Then we went to see the Real Pirates exhibition at the Franklin Institute because I had received free tickets via Starbucks. (Thanks Starbucks!) It was really neat. I was blown away when I saw the real pirate's treasure spilling out of the cliché treasure chest. We were even able to touch some of the "pieces of eight", but Rob refused because "do you know how many people have TOUCHED that????"

Afterwards we headed to Marathon Grill for a burger and then I had a delicious milk shake on the way home. I was able to rest for a few hours before we headed back to the city for bowling with our friends.


The best part of the night was the end of our final game. The boys side finished early because they had one less player. Rob had the lead with a 149. When it came to my 10th frame, I had a 130. I told everyone that I needed either a strike then a spare or a spare then a strike, which was highly unlikely, to beat Rob. But everyone was rooting me on because apparently no one ever wants Rob to lose. Plus it was MY birthday! My first ball ended up being a strike. The crowd cheered! My next ball was a 6. Not great. The pressure was on. I threw that final ball and we all watched intently. It felt like slow motion. SPARE!!! I won with a 150, highest game of the night! Haha! It was glorious!

After bowling we went to the 700 Club and boogied down to some old school hip hop. There's nothing like a little Skee-lo on your birthday. All in all , a way fun night!

I was teasing Rob because he kind of blew it a bit. The bowling party wasn't a surprise, since he had to ask me for my friends' phone numbers. And he didn't buy me a birthday present. No card. No cake. Nothing. And his reasoning? "You don't need anything." Well duh. He said that my present was breakfast, lunch, and bowling. He's right, I don't need anything. But I admit it was a little sad not having any gift to open. And no surprises. Even if he would have picked up some grocery store flowers of something, it would have been a surprise. But Rob has never been the greatest with surprises, so I kind of expect it now. That's why I spoiled the heck out of myself that whole week. Someone's gotta, right? Luckily I take good care of myself since my hubby isn't the "spoiling" type.

But I loved my birthday! And I have a feeling my 28th year is going to be a really great one!

4 comments:

Cat said...

Happy Birthday!

aww, those are great pics :) looks like fun!

Congrats on the bowling win!!

Maria Elena said...

Happy Belated Birthday To You!

Anonymous said...

happy happy happy birthday!!! sounds like you had so much fun!

Ligie said...

Ok, I'm random, but I found your blog while trying to figure out how to get the free ticket to the Pirate exhibit at the FI. So, first off - Happy Belated birthday!

2nd - Any chance you could clue me in on what I have to do for the tickets? We both have registered cards...

Thanks and nice blog! Come visit us if you feel like it at SheSquared on blogger.

Ligie