Thursday, April 03, 2008

Yoo-hoo! Osama!

Last night Rob and I went to a free screening of Morgan Spurlock's (of Supersize Me fame) upcoming documentary Where in the world is Osama Bin Laden?, along with a Q&A with Spurlock after the movie.

What a great movie! I feel like I was able to take a lot away from it. I have to applaud Morgan Spurlock for making a movie about the Middle East that was simple enough for me, someone who knows very little about US foreign policy, and yet compelling enough for Rob, who is very knowledgeable on the subject, and happens to be currently reading two books about the Palestinian/Israeli conflict.

The only downside of the event was the irritating college student sitting across the aisle from us, who during the Q&A, frantically waved her hand around like an 8 year old the entire time, going "Oooh! Oooh! Oooh!" and mumbling loudly each time she was overlooked. SO FREAKIN' DISTRACTING! And her inappropriate question showed her level of immaturity because it was addressed in the movie, as well as by Spurlock when annoying chick's friend asked a similar question 10 minutes earlier. She was obviously so focused on trying to get "called upon" that she wasn't even listening to a word Spurlock was saying throughout the entire Q&A. I kind of wanted to punch her.

But despite that incident, it was an edumacational night that sparked much conversation between me and Rob on the subject of the Middle East. It's nice having a husband that is so interested in World Affairs so he can keep me updated.

Anyway, if the movie comes to your town, I suggest you see it. I have to put Supersize Me in my Netflix queue. I avoided it for a while because I love fast food so much! But I suppose it'd be good for me to watch it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Morgan Spurlock never ceases to impress me… i just saw Super Size Me, which as amazingly insightful, and now this? well done indeed